A Gadget is a preferences. The gadgets functionality is provided by the extension .and/or a snippet that can be enabled simply by checking an option in your Everything Food & Drink
General criteria for Gadgets
Gadgets should generally pass the following conditions:
- Gadgets must work if just included with no further configuration. They can be configurable via monobook.js, but must work unconfigured.
- Gadgets must be compatible with all major browsers, i.e. they must not terminate with errors.
- Gadgets should be functional in most major browsers (cross-browser compatibility). Exceptions must be clearly stated.
- Duplication of gadgets should only be made if it's reasonable.
- Collections of scripts should be applied as own entities. (No collection of scripts dumped as a gadget, unless the collection is specially defined as an own entity.)
- Gadgets requiring permissions must be marked and must fail gracefully if the permissions aren't present.
- Gadgets only working in some skins must be marked as such if that data is available.
- Add the header below and the script code to MediaWiki:Gadget-scriptname.js
- Optionally, add the header below and CSS code to MediaWiki:Gadget-scriptname.css
- Add a script description to MediaWiki:Gadget-scriptname. Please link to the script home and/or help page and state browser requirements if needed.
- Add to MediaWiki:Gadgets-definition under the appropriate heading
- Update the table of installed gadgets below
The gadget should now appear on Special:Gadgets.
Comments or warnings can be added to the gadget description templates in two ways:
- noinclude tag (visible on description page with links):
<noinclude> comment </noinclude>
- HTML comments (visible in source text only):
<!-- comment -->
Comments added in this way will be automatically discarded during the page creation process.
The following header is to be added to the gadget files:
/* _____________________________________________________________________________ * | | * | === WARNING: GLOBAL GADGET FILE === | * | Changes to this page affect many users. | * | Please discuss changes on the talk page or on [[HPT:Gadgets]] before editing. | * |_____________________________________________________________________________| * * Imported from version XXXX as of DATE from [[SCRIPT_SOURCE]] * SHORT_DESCRIPTION, see [[SCRIPT_HOME_PAGE]] */
Active project gadgets
Changes to the gadgets definition page must be discussed on Proposals or EFD_talk:Gadget
Everything Food & Drink
- Special:Gadgets, lists the installed gadgets similar to the preferences but has edit links
- MediaWiki talk:Gadgets-definition, discussing technical details of making and maintaining gadgets
- Extension:Gadgets, the Mediawiki gadget extension page