To install HotCat, simply go to your preferences and check the HotCat option in the Gadgets tab.
Alternatively you can:
- Copy the text below and paste it to the bottom of your script file:
- Save the new script page, and
- Completely refresh your browser by bypassing your cache.
- Done! You will now have + and - signs next to your categories. Clicking these allows for easy editing, removing and changing of categories.
How to use
Whenever a page is loaded, HotCat looks for the category bar. If there are visible categories, it adds links to easily remove, change or add categories:
The new links are:
- "(-)" after a category: when clicked, the category is automatically removed.
- "(±)" after a category: when clicked, an input field to change this category is opened.
- "(+)" at the end of the list of categories: when clicked, an input field to add a category is opened.
- "(++)" at the front: when clicked, enters multi-change mode, allowing modifying more than one category.
If HotCat can detect that a certain category is not in the page text itself but was transcluded onto the page from a template or other transclusion, it will not add these links. Only categories that are present in the wikitext of the page itself can be modified through HotCat.